If you need a new roof on your home, one of the first decisions you’ll have to make is what type of material you want installed. You probably wonder what the best residential roofing material is. Asphalt shingles and metal roofing each have their own advantages. The answer may vary according to how much protection you need your roof to provide, how long you want it to last, how you want it to look, and how much you want to spend.
The following explains the qualities, cost, and advantages of asphalt shingles as well as metal roofing.
Asphalt shingles are a popular roofing material because of their relatively low cost, traditional appearance, and variety of options to coordinate with the look of your home. This type of roofing material can last up to 20 years, depending on the type of shingle as well as the maintenance performed on it. An asphalt shingle roof requires regular inspections and maintenance to keep its good condition, appearance, and long life.
Asphalt shingles come in 3 different types:
- 3-tab – This is the least expensive type of asphalt shingle. It’s made up of 3 individual tabs and comes in many colors depending on the manufacturer.
- Architectural – These shingles are made of different sizes and shapes to create a more dimensional look. They’re thicker and heavier than 3-tab shingles, rated to resist higher wind speeds, have longer warranties, and are more expensive.
- Premium – Premium is one of the most expansive lines in shingles and is not offered by every manufacturer.
Metal roofing can be made from a wide variety of different metals and can look good on many different styles of home. You’ll also be able to choose from a variety of colors, styles, and finishes. Although it’s more expensive than shingles to buy and have installed, metal roofing material lasts much longer – up to 50 years in some cases.
It also has the following advantages:
- Energy efficiency
- Fire resistant
- Wind resistant
- Requires less maintenance
- Provides instant curb appeal
To find out more about what the best roofing material is for your home, work with A-1 Property Services in Miami, FL. Our roofing specialists will explain your options and help you determine the best roofing material based on your needs, preferences, and budget.